Friday, June 26, 2009

Nutter Butter Truffles

The Oreo Truffles are just so yummy why stop there. I saw Bakerella tried this recipe with Nutter Butter cookies and since I love peanut butter I made these for our playgroup. I tweaked the recipe just a bit because I don't believe that Nutter Butters are peanut buttery enough- they are a bit dry and lack that creamy yumminess.

I was afraid that they were not going to be as heavenly, but the peanut butter people of the world think they are equally as lovely. Dare I say that there was not one left and I made around 36 which means that between us adults we each ate about three.

Nutter Butter Truffles
1 pkg. 14 oz. Nutter Butter cookies (use entire cookie)
6 oz. cream cheese
1/4 c. peanut butter
2 pkg. Baker's chocolate in the cup (I like milk choc., but semi sweet is good too)

First: Take 5 or so Nutter Butter cookies and food process them until they are very fine. Save for sprinkling the tops.

Mix: Entire package of Nutter Butter in a food processor until very fine. Then add in cream cheese and peanut butter. The mixture will start to clump up, stick together and look wet. Stop at this point.
Roll: Into 1/2 inch balls.
Melt: Chocolate coating in m-wave for about 30 sec. Do not overheat chocolate or it will be just clumpy and gross. Also, if you throw in just a tad of Crisco (like 1/2 tsp) into the chocolate it will be much thinner and will spread easier. You can then place it in a baggie and sort of pipe the chocolate onto the balls.
Dip: Balls into coating. I used a spoon to cover them and it worked well, but it was time consuming.
Sprinkle: With crushed Nutter Butters.
Chill: For about 30 min.
Yield: 36 or so

Kid tip: If you are like me you find it very difficult to let your children's food creations actually make it to the party. Yes, even I have been caught evilly redecorating their cookies or adding to their sprinkles with prettier ones (without them knowing or seeing). This is one recipe that you can relax and let your little ones roll the balls. If they are imperfect it so does not make any difference as you are going to drench them in chocolate anyway. Of course, you can still hand them the perfect size dough as to make sure you don't end up with like six meatball sized truffles. Happiness for everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend made these awhile back and the kiddos kept referring to them as "chocolate meatballs". Mostly due to the size - they were huge! I thought it was funny that you also referred to them that way. However, very tasty!!! Victoria